Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Class Announcement: Basic Brioche

Photo Credit to DoeDeer Photography

Hello! This week I wanted to let you all know that I'm going to be attending the Green Camel Gathering in Tyler, MN on March 4-6, 2016. I'll be offering my Basic Brioche Class and will be selling print copies of my patterns while I'm there. This is the same class that I taught last year at North Country Fiber Fair and it's a lot of fun!!

Photo Credit to DoeDeer Photography

 During this 4-hour-class, students will learn the German Twisted Cast-on (also known as the Old Norwegian Cast-on), the Basic Brioche Rib Stitch, how to knit Brioche using 1 or 2 colors, and how to Bind-off your beautiful Brioche. Students will be provided with a free pattern (both in print and downloadable) for a Giant Color Shift Brioche Scarf, but in class we will be making a smaller sample piece so that all the techniques will be covered in the time allotted. By the end of class students will have the necessary skills to complete their scarf on their own.

 Materials students will need to bring to class:

For the In-Class Sample Piece:
- 50 yards each of at least 2 colors of worsted weight yarn (this can be scrap yarn).
- Circular knitting Needles 1-2 sizes smaller than what you would normally use for knitting Stockinette on Worsted Weight Yarn. (If you are a tight knitter, go down 1 size. If you knit more loosely, go down 2 sizes.)

For the Giant Color Shift Brioche Scarf:
- Size 7 (4.5 mm) 16" Circular Knitting Needles 
- 3 Balls of Knitpicks City Tweed HW in 3 different colors
OR
- About 165 yards each of 3 colors of any Aran/Heavy Worsted Weight Yarn
 

Photo Credit to DoeDeer Photography

 A giant scarf  might seem like a big undertaking for a beginner, but once you start it knits up super quickly thanks to the chunky yarn, color changes and the addiction of the Brioche Rib Stitch. If you've been seeing all the wonderful new books and patterns on Brioche that have been coming out lately, but you just can't seem to get it, try my class. Brioche really is a stitch that is easier to learn when there is someone there to show you and help guide you because it can be tricky to understand what the instructions mean without the visual. (And sometimes it's tricky even with good photos and videos.)

I have a lot of patience and had great results with my class last time I taught it. One of the attendees had only made a scarf, a hat and a washcloth before I showed her how to knit Brioche and by the end of class she was zipping along on her piece. This is such a fun knitting technique and the squishy, wonderful fabric that it creates will have you falling in love with it, too!

I've created an event on the Green Camel Gathering Facebook page for sign-ups that includes pricing and I have posted the pattern for my Giant Color Shift Brioche Scarf to Ravelry. If you just want the pattern, you can buy it through my Ravelry store, but if you take the class, remember that you will get a copy of the pattern (and a code for the download) free in class.


Have a great week of crafting everyone!
Shaina  ^_^

Photo Credit to DoeDeer Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment